Monday, August 14, 2006

Aaron Fisher

After blowing off work on Sunday to spend the day lounging around the house and watching movies with Polly, At 10PM, we took a short drive to Hollywood to visit Aaron Fisher (who has lived in LA for the last 6 years). Although we don't know each other that well, it feels like we been friends a long long time. Weird huh?

Maybe it was that crazed night in a Hotel Room in Seattle with Lee Asher, Sage and another guy? The 45 minute discussion about the SWE Shift was one of the highlights of the evening for me. Also, talking at length about our love of the Grateful Dead and all that the music is about.

For a long time, even before I had met either of them I had regarded Aaron Fisher and Lee Asher as revolutionary card men. A new generation of thinking with broad sweeping brushstrokes of genius, these mother fuckers have got it going on!

aaron_fisher_energy

When Aaron's book, The Paper Engine, came out I remember thinking, wow; this all seems rather new, progressive thinking on the subject of pasteboards. Tension and focus. At the time I was feeling a lot of tension and lacked focus.

Mr. Fisher is a lot more than a magician, he's a bright, young, funny guy who loves to have a good time, laugh and listen to the Dead. His current passion is stand up comedy. It's been fun to chat with him about the structure of comedy, his thoughts of working some of the comedy clubs and mixing up his act with both comedy and magic.

book_the_paper_engine


He's an intellectual, an articulate fellow on a mission. It was fun hanging out with him and his girlfriend. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am so lucky to have met so many talented magicians. . . and then to be able to call them my friends.

Thanks Aaron for a great evening of fun and friendship. . . and thanks for the "coming into town" gift of "The Conjuring Anthology" by Jim Steinmeyer. . . a signed copy no less!!! I am looking forward to reading it!

No comments: