Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Thirty minutes and $43.00 later

I left the house at 10:17PM. Lit my cigar and stuck in my earphones. Wasn't sure where I was going, just started to walk. Walked towards the movie theater, thought I might see if there were any 10:30 flicks that I wanted to see. There were a couple of movies, but instead, I decided to enjoy the brisk evening air and walk. I walked at a good pace, all the way to Charlie O's. Here was the club, a little over a mile from the house. The sign outside say "Live Jazz Nightly". I've been wanting to check it out since I moved here. I thought it might be an interesting place to work, maybe during the band breaks.

On the door was a flyer that said "Big Band Night $20 Cover". I had come this far, so I went in, bellied up to the bar and ordered a drink. The Bill Holeman Band was playing, all 17 pieces filled the air in this small club with music of era gone by. I sat at a table in the back of the room and took out my cards. Sipping my drink and shuffling my cards. . . my mind was at ease. Another cocktail saw the end of the bands set. I guess I should have gotten there earlier.

No comments: