Thursday, March 01, 2007

Swing Dancing in Burbank

My desire to swing dance, starts a strange series of events that ends with a phone call from Chris Kenner and a hangover.

I don't know how to explain it, so I won't. All I can say is that I had a super time at Joe's All American Bar & Grill in Burbank, Tuesday night. I went after hearing that they they have a bit of a dance scene with live music. Sounded good as I've been wanting to do some dancing. It's always hard for me to go to a new place and ask women I don't know to put up with my lousy dancing. After a few drinks, I asked a woman named Trish to dance. It wasn't so bad. I talked to a fellow named Paul and asked for some advice. He said he was flattered, but he looked pretty good out there.

Dancing is great. Two people close together, in sync with each other. The man gets to be the man and lead. She will go where I lead. I must do this with confidence and stay on the beat. Both women I danced with, were much better dancers than me. Big surprise there. Good women dancers always seem to pick up my slack. If I'm off the beat after the turn, they some how make that half second disappear.

The band was done by midnight. The DJ played on and Trish gave me a little Cha Cha Cha lesson. I'm looking forward to going back next week and doing it again.

The best thing about finding this cool place to dance with a big dance floor and good music is. . . it's only 4 miles away! IN LA, how nice is that?

No comments: