Thursday, May 31, 2007

Last week

Hours into days, days into weeks, weeks into months. . . . and my worst complaint is an occasional short filler cigar. As you can imagine, the fun never ends here at Camp Paradise.

I started a post last week about going to the Castle and having a blast, seems like ancient history by now. Rewind to last Wednesday night after the Aaron Fisher lecture, at the Castle in a real good mood. Cocktails and conversation flowed freely over card tricks. Howard Hamburg raved about a couple of guys I had to see. I was treated to the magical stylings of a cat named Dani DaOrtiz and his pal Christian Englbom.

Always a pleasure to see students of the Ascanio/Tamariz Spanish style of card magic. Lots of action, fluid motion and deception. Evidently they had spent the afternoon at at Dean Dills slaying the gang with trick after trick. My favorite thing Dani did was a flawless version of the three card monte using a method I had never seen. Quite good.

We closed the Castle, then sessioned in the parking lot for a while. An old friend from years ago came up to me and asked me if I knew who he was. I was at a loss, which I usually am in these situations. His name is Ori and he is an Israeli Magician. He lived here in LA at the same time as I did in 86/87 now he’s in Tel Aviv. Matt Herbert, Daniel the street magician, Ori and I went to Mel’s Drive in for breakfast. Matt bought us a nice meal and another hour or so of jamming on magic. A good time was had by all and I got home a bit after 4AM.

There now that that’s out of the way we can move forward again into the past as yesterdays session at Dean Dills is another story.

1 comment:

Timmy Jimmy said...

Method? Double back tape?
If so, that is a killer routine!