Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In my "In Box" • Mark Jensen

Tom,
I've been keeping up with your blog lately and just a couple thoughts
from it. First, the artwork has been fabulous! I like that even if
you haven't the time to open yourself to a lengthy post, at least you
express something through the art that you post. Some of it has been
quite exceptional lately.

Let's see, oh yeah, Death of a Cardman. That kid seemed really
uncomfortable with his 'interrogation.' I got to feeling kind of
sorry for him, to tell you the truth. I think when all is said and
done though, even if there is such a proliferation of magic on the
'net and amongst our youth, there will still only be that very small
portion of the population that really becomes students of card magic.
One cannot become a student by only watching videos and reading books
published in the last couple decades anymore than one can be a student
of history by reading only newspapers since his/her birth. I know
though that there are still some young guys who study Erdnase and are
fluent in 'cardguy.' I still have hope '8)

Finally, the article about Neil Young was wonderful, and I am always
up for Tom Waits. I don't know if he is an acquired taste, because
his music spoke to me from the first word I ever heard him sing. Keep
on keepin' on, keep your battery terminals clean with a wire brush
once a week or once every other week.

Your friend,

Mark

P.S. I'm still working hard on my jazz chops, and studying with a
great guitarist here. I'm actally going across the bridge again, but
instead of turning toward Alki, I go over to the left toward what is
(I guess) West Seattle. I think of you each time.

No comments: