The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
LOS ANGELES: Concert promoters sued magician David Copperfield for nearly $2.2 million (€1.49 million) because he pulled out of 48 shows after a woman claimed he raped her.
The breach-of-contract suit was filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court. It names Copperfield, his company and one of his attorneys, Albert Rettig.
Calls to Rettig and to Copperfield's representative seeking comment were not immediately returned Wednesday.
Copperfield came under investigation last month after a 21-year-old woman told authorities that he raped her in July at his estate in the Bahamas. An attorney for the magician has denied the allegations and no charges have been filed.
The new lawsuit claims Copperfield backed out on a deal to give 10 performances in the United Arab Emirates and 38 shows in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore this fall because he did not want to face questions from reporters.
An attorney for Copperfield said last month that the shows were canceled because tour operators in Asia defaulted on their contracts.
The lawsuit was filed by California-based Viva Art International Ltd. and Maz Concerts, Inc. of Ontario, Canada. They claim they gave Copperfield about $2.2 million to cover his costs before he canceled the shows.