Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Mike Super Interview

1) What were you feeling when you heard your named announced as the new Phenomenon?

When they announced my name it was very surreal... Even now I still don't believe it! All I remember is feeling relief that I wasn't voted off, and then a huge wave of happy sadness because I know my parents would've been so proud!! It was all I could do to keep it together. I remember thinking in my head, I'll replay this for the rest of my life.

2) The illusion with the money and newspaper was really unique. Where do you look for inspiration when coming up with fresh ideas?

The money and newspaper illusion came to be, because I was really striving to do a wide range of material on the show. I wanted all of my routines to be completely different. The biggest obstacle on the show was PROVING that everything was truly random. The live audience knows, but you must do things in such a way that the TV audience KNOWS it's random as well. So thats why i used the wind chamber to swirl the bills...because there's no way to control that...

AND that's why I used the prediction IN the USA Today. They hold it in their hands and know it couldn't be changed. So that was my primary inspiration for the dollar routine.

3) Do you believe in true paranormal or "mentalist" abilities?

Being a Christian, I absolutely believe in the spiritual side of life. I'd NEVER say it isn't possible, that God would bestow a special gift to a person. I also DO believe a bit in the paranormal, because my faith dictates I must. However, I believe they both have VERY rare manifestations in our world. I am by nature, very skeptical and think that most of the time everything can be explained thru natural means of deception. So you could say I'm a bit of a walking contradiction. I do, however, believe that my appearance on the show was an amazing example of how God works... I found out I got the show on what would've been my mother's birthday...and I was fortunate enough to win on what would've been my father's birthday! There's no way that's just coincidence!

4) If you could do one thing differently on the show, what would it be?

Absolutely nothing. My main goal was to remain true to who I was and be myself... I can honestly say I did that. So overall, even if I would've been voted off, I was happy with my material choices and my personality. That said, I'm VERY critical about myself and my performances... it's honestly hard for me to watch myself. I believe you can always improve your performance, no matter how much stage time you have.

5) What was your favorite, and least favorite, thing about being on Phenomenon?

My favorite thing about Phenomenon is two fold. In order they are, I made lifelong friends with the cast and the crew, and I got to reach MILLIONS of people with my performances! The cast and crew are now legitimately a part of my life and I'm really thankful for that. It was something I wasn't expecting. From the executive producers down to the cast, EVERYONE was down to earth and we became an all around family! The contestants even helped each other!!! Keep in mind this was a competition. It was a blessing to be involved in this show simply because of the people I've met and can now call my friends.

6) What's next for you?

This show has been amazing for my career... I owe the Executive Producers, Suzy, Michael, and Dwight a debt of gratitude I'll never be able to repay. I have several offers for my own TV show, I'm also currently working on a possible Vegas deal. I've even been offered some small movie parts which I'd love to do as well! But for right now, I'll definitely be pursuing my own magic series on TV...I have a concept that is completely fresh and has never been done. I'm REALLY excited about it! I'll also be touring City Theaters and Performing Arts Centers around the US, so I hope everyone that watched the show comes out and sees more of what I do! I'd like to thank my family, friends and EVERY person that voted and supported me throughout the show! My fans, old and new have been amazing! I love them all and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be where I am today!

No comments: