Thursday, June 05, 2008

A double dose of disappointing dentistry

Yesterday I got up at 6:20AM. Out the door by 6:30. At UCLA School of dentistry by 7:30. 8:O0AM appt. get a new set of x-rays. Increasing stress level as I gag on those plastic and film squares they shove in your face.

Start 9:00AM appointment with botched Novocaine shots and nitrous not working because I'm too engulfed in anxiety. Never got numb where I was supposed to and the morning appointment was a waste.

The 2:00PM appointment to finish up the root canal in one of my front teeth. After an hour or so, the nitrous ran out and after another 30 minutes I started to freak out. I was hyper ventilating with tears streaming out of my eyes. If I didn't know better, I'd say that was a bonefied freak out.

Feeling better about life today. Walked the hill with Aaron and now chilling at the Bourgeois Pig. Hanging in the dimly lit back room. Earphones in and cranking out some mid day jams.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh Sweetie!!

I am so so so sorry to hear you had to go through that!! I'm in my own personal dental damnation - getting a crown after grinding my teeth so hard I cracked one all the way through.

There was a problem with the temporary cap and I became Bitch-zilla!! (which as you know, for me is quite a fierce prospect.) Fortunately, my darling dentist waved his magic wand and I'm out of serious pain... BUT

Darling I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. You deserve better.

My thoughts are with you.

Sorry, no pain killers to share. I'm too much of a light weight.

Holler as needed. I'm sending good thoughts your way.