Monday, December 22, 2008

First night of Chanukah

It was Pollys' idea to make latkes (potato pancakes), but I'm pretty sure my mother approved. I could feel her presence in my heart and mind as we celebrated the first night of Hanukkah by lighting the candles and saying the prayer.

"Baruch ata Ado-nai, Elo-heinu Melech ha'olam, Asher kid'shanu b'mitzvosav v'tzivanu l'hadlik ner shel Chanukah"

Blessed are You, Hashem our G-d, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments, and has commanded us to Kindle the Chanukah light.

I'm not a religious person, but I do enjoy the traditions of my people and my childhood. It's been a trying few weeks/months, but I'm keeping enough love in my heart and a smile on my face to make the most out of this dwindling holiday season. Money has been tight, and street performing has been problematic. It's been cold and rainy here on and off for weeks. I was able to go out yesterday and have a half way decent afternoon before it got dark and cold. I met Polly at the gym after the CityWalk, and we put in a good hour and a half work out before going home to make our dinner. Along with our latkes Polly made Herb roasted winter vegetables on a baking sheet. Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots, sweet potato and lots of love made it delicious!

We decided that we wouldn't talk about the calories, carbs or all the oil that the latkes were cooking in. Instead, we enjoyed our meal, looked lovingly into each others eyes and enjoyed our candle lit meal.

Rain is back today, work looks doubtful. Probably a good day to get some housework done, go see a movie, or watch some of the football games I TiVo'ed yesterday.

No comments: